- Year-round Every Saturday, 8:00 am to 12:00 noon
- First Wednesday in May through Last Wednesday in September: 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm
HOUSEHOLD TRASH AND RECYCLING
Please note: Household trash rules have changed as of 1/18/2020
NEW RULES SUMMARY
All recyclables now go into normal household trash. You do not need to separate out Cardboard, Plastic, Metal or Glass.
NOTE: There are no changes to handling of DEMO or SCRAP METAL. These still go in the fenced dump-bins as before.
Q: Why aren’t we separating the recycling out? Isn’t that more environmentally friendly?
A: Coastal Resources of Maine, the contracting waste handling company, has changed their process for handling waste. They have adopted an “all-in” approach where recyclables are separated after pickup. Your recycling will still be handled, just not at the point of drop-off.
Q: Are there any other rules I need to follor?
A: Yes – Coastal Resources of Maine has provided guidelines as follows:
- Break down all cardboard boxes and packaging
- Empty and Rinse all containers of food or liquid. Leave the caps on.
- Cut up any items over 3 ft in length including garden hoses, twine, rope, tarps, etc. (Anything longer tangles the processing equipment)
- DO NOT put lightbulbs, batteries, electronics, propane tanks, or paint into the trash. Instead recycle at a designated take-back site.
- Place needles and sharps in a proper container or detergent bottle and seal with tape.
- Donate reusable items instead of discarding.
- NO YARD WASTE (grass, brush, leaves, or tree limbs do not belong in the trash)
- NO tires, mattresses, old furniture, carpets, building demo, power tools or other items should be mixed in with your normal household trash.
- AGAIN, please remember that the scrap metal and demo box rules are still the same as always. Only household garbage rules have changed.
LARGE ITEM RECYCLING
We have two large dumpsters onsite. We reserve the right to refuse deliveries if the dumpsters are full.
SCRAP METAL BIN
Metal Buckets, Washing Machines, Dryers, Water Heaters, Metal Microwaves, Toaster Ovens, Scrap Roofing, Duct work, etc.
- Fees will be charged for large debris deliveries
- Large loads by appointment only
- Tires must be off rims
- NO Toxic Materials of any kind.
- No Asbestos bearing materials
- NO Engines, Lawn Mowers, Lawn Tractors, Etc. unless they have been completely drained of fluids
- NO Oil, Antifreeze, Fuel. Please take these to a garage or licensed facility.
- NO Gasoline Containers can NOT be accepted unless they are cut in two and are DRY.
- NO Propane Cylinders. Explosion hazard.
- Batteries: See Attendant for disposal of Lithium, Rechargeable, and Auto Batteries
- Refrigerators and Air Conditioners must be put on the refrigerator pad for freon removal, immediately on the right when you come up the driveway
The reuse room, located in the barn at the transfer station, is open whenever the station is open.
We accept donations of books, magazines, clothing, footwear, toys, household items, furniture and pretty much anything else that is in good, reusable condition. We encourage everyone to take advantage of this program. Come in and take whichever items you want. If you have unwanted items, don’t throw them away – donate them instead and give them a new life!
The transfer station is located approximately 2 miles North of KC’s country store on Crow Hill Road, on the right. You must have a Transfer Station Sticker visible to the attendants. If you do not have a sticker, please call the Town Office at 876-3730. They are free of charge.